3/30/2004

To paraphrase Henry Kissinger very inaccurately, why eat oysters when you have power?

There's just this certain sense of adrenaline at rushing about from place to place, skipping meals and drinking a lot of coffee. Sitting at tables negotiating and sitting down thinking of designs. I like publishing so maybe I will do it in the future (future future).
I miss being on helicopters and wearing chemical suits and digging trenches but I guess a little bit of the old buzz is back, and it's just a different sort, dealing with people, briefing them and even doing someone else's grunt work. I used to hate management because I thought it was all about power and calculations and how many people you can retrench. But its also about coaching and teaching although there's far less room for error than in school but i'm very impressed by the thought that if you died the next day you would have imparted enough knowledge for people to function w/o you, i.e. you should never be indispensible. I would never study management or politics because I've always felt its something that can only be gained by experience and intuition but that doesn't mean i don't have a healthy respect for it.


We're always given this impression that the real world is unfair and all but somehow I do feel that the people who work hard generally do get rewarded. Okay, to rephrase I guess it is a prerequisite to work hard in order to be special and looking at these people who run start-ups they're not the yuppie hippies i thought they were but they do put in a lot of effort into what they do. must learn.

No comments: