9/16/2005

there's always some solace waiting if you'd only look

"Ma, you scared of goin? You scared a goin' to a new place?"

"A little," she said, "Only it ain't like scared so much. I'm jus' a settin' here waitin'. When somepin happens like that I got to do somepin - I'll do it."

"Ain't you thinkin' what it's gonna be like when we get there? Ain't you scared it won't be nice like we thought?"

"No," she said quickly, "No I ain't. You can't do that. I can't do that. Its too much - livin' too many lives. Up ahead there's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes, it'll on'y be one. If I go ahead on all of 'em, it's all too much. You got to live ahead cause you're so young, but - it's jus the road goin' by for me." Her face tightened. "That's all I can do. I can't do no more."

Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck

it always seems to fit doesn't it? =) the right words for the right time.

No comments: