2/19/2005

But I, all day, I heard an angel crying:
'Hurt not the trees'.

Sunny Singapore. At last, we're fulfilling our image as a sunny tropical island set in the sea, with the sun, the sand... the sea... but no rains.

Our lovely island has been turned into a mottled patchwork of brown. This was worse 2 days ago, when everything was brown. I'm quite a brown person though. I like it, it reminds me of colours we only ever get to see on film (where do they get all those fantastic shots of autumn), or across prairies & savannahs. It was nice to see something that wasn't lush, verdant, green, although it really sucks to be running in this sort of weather.

So they questioned why I like brown, well, if you think of it as bronze or gold it isn't that bad right? I think orange is a very beautiful colour. orange, yellow, brown, gold, the whole family. hell, i even like it when i'm tanned. Although it was beautiful, the truth is that they're all withered, and there were little bush fires at Yishun.

It reminds me of the desert heat, though it's much more humid. The way the sky is all blue, and we find it beautiful when we're in stranger climes, the way the moon is up in the sky at 5 and sitting rather obviously in a sky of blue, totally cloudless. I wish I had a better camera on my phone, but I really liked the shade of blue and I took it, and my phone has how few colours, mind you!

They're all saying, perhaps its global warming and we're all going to die because the world is getting hotter. I just think Nature is a rather more beastly thing than we give it credit for. I think it screws around with us just enough without our interference anyway. And I guess Nature, that benovelent little shit, is no sustainer of life. We've survived in spite of nature. I will spit on its face the moment we invent climate control. All the trees and grass drying in the heat will wish that too. So I think tree huggers shouldn't be too concerned. Of course, we shouldn't wipe out all the biodiversity of the planet while we're at it.

Elle joue du tuba, parce que c'est le seul instrument d'imiter les boue�s de d�stresse.

Love story in the old tradition. Kids meet at a tender, impressionable age, seek each other out to play after school, carry each other up lighthouses, find quirks of nature and funny quotes to remember each other by. Guy gets rushed off to war and is missing for a very, very long time. Girl lights her Breton lamp and waits for the impending return of the husband, and doesn't find him after the war. She waits, hope upon hope, that she will eventually hunt him down and eventually...

Basically, stuff that never happens today. Because we're reluctant to fight long, senseless wars to determine which nation is stronger than the other (and has a larger tolerance for suffering on a collective scale) or is better at getting objectives as well as forcing the marvels of technology onto the battlefield. Wars in the developed world are now executed with surgical precision, between a force of unparalleled strength and technological advancement, and pesky guerillas or rogue armies which never say die, sparing us countless years in the trenches, and the doubt of yesteryear. (Oh he's dead, we picked up his death on our network).

Un long dimanche de fian�ailles is a lovely film with typically beautiful French scenery. The jagged coastlines of Britanny, the fields & meadows. Very witty screenplay.

"I see nobody on the road," said Alice.
"I only wish I had such eyes," the King remarked in a fretful tone, "to be able to see Nobody! And at that distance too! Why, it's as much as I can do to see real people, in this light."

Interestingly, nobody is personne in French. This passage is set in gibberish surroundings, but it can be beautiful on its own. Nobody, Noone, Nothing are traditionally words of despair... but some people believe that people who are not there are there, and that nobody is just a person who'll pass by, to be followed by somebody. In other words, they see with their heart (How Hollywood!)

Grant us peace

Something not very "Hollywood" is Million Dollar Baby (Yes don't ask me, I felt like a movie marathon on Friday). Good subject (boxing), and even if it turned out to be Rocky-like I wouldn't be too concerned. Was initially disconcerted by the pace of the movie (very slow), as well as the thick accent (southern) of the narrator which led to me missing some things. But well, good film, ol blood & guts sort, but it stand into its own because it does show that part of America. Trailer trash land, backroads, interstates, basically places in America I'd never bother going to (Missouri). So-called red states full of rednecks.

I like Clint Eastwood's characters, because they're fascinated by morality and dignity. Their conscience always bugs them, and I like the grave stern look on their faces as they're contemplating their life or what they've done wrong. It was a very real show, something that could conceivable happen to anyone (no, not having a title shot at welterweight champion of the world), but in general, being screwed over by people, screwing up your closest relationships by being too uncommunicative and reserved, doing things right all the way till the last moment, feeling all bad and shitty that one's glory days are over, just wanting peace by eating lemon pie at some roadside diner. No money, no glory, just peace and maybe a quiet way to die. Not with tracheostomy performed to get you to breathe and breathing on life support. I always hated going to hospitals & I hate how the things made to save us are so ugly and restraining. I hate the indignity of how the human body fails and I will never be a doctor, noble as it is.

No comments: