2/16/2005

To put it simply

After a day of relative inactivity, returned to the office. I didn't expect that there would be much to do and I happenly went off for my training.

Upon my return, I realised I had to complete a 15 page WITS report. Apparently the project summary wasn't enough and they wanted me to do a 15 page report! By Friday! Because they wanted to turn it over to the administrators for it to be judged and all, and maybe given a prize? like what the fuck for.

I understand the rationale... in a way. You're not supposed to do all 15 pages at once. It's supposed to be like some secondary school project where you brainstorm once a week and make regular progress. And gosh it's like some elaborate check and balance to 'make sure' you're innovating because no one will do it if they're not beaten with a stick (quite true). But still! You can't force things, it's not right... and I think a lot of the innovation is still done in little ways although it's not formalised.

but i guess 1. they could just judge the innovation by the results of its implementation instead of 15 pages rehashing the same basic facts :(problem, root cause, brainstorming for solutions, corrective actions), which has little bearing on implementation of said solution. And when the report demands hard figures and evidence, ok can give, but I suddenly came across terms like : Pareto graph(does sound familiar, coefficient of inequality?), Ishikawa Diagram... I'm like... ok... not my level? Maybe I'm not yet trained in Economics but I think that if you expect innovation to be commonplace you ought to compile the ideas and the raw statistics and save the fancy presentations for the professionals. In the end, I did a Tree Diagram, and a Flowchart, and a Mindmap and a few graphs. It felt so amateur but I'm convinced that doing one of those 4 syllable things that I knew nothing off would just be complete bullshit because that's not what we thought about, frankly, when solving the problem. Most likely we combined steps 1-12 all at once.

I'm happy they're going to hand over the room and start renovation. Finally. I can see a bit of what it would look like, stuff turning into reality.

Was also worried when I was stumped by a tuition question yesterday. Turns out I was careless(what's new) and saved me some embarassment that at least I knew how to do it. I'm worried by the stuff I'm forgetting though I can barely remember when you should factorise or not though I can remember the formulae I'm not stringent in using them. God help me. I have blisters on my feet and they irritate me

1 comment:

jacuzzijo said...

I know where you are coming from.
happens to me EVERY WEEK.