2/04/2005

I have just purchased a good carrying case for my laptop. It's made of viscoelastic memory foam (what a fucking cool name). Cool shit. It sounded like a living foam thing that could adopt amorphous states of matter as well as exhibit sentient memory fucntions. It was originally designed by NASA to reduce the excessive G-force that pilots and astronauts experience during take-off and re-entry. It even smells of outer space. The unique thing about it is it's incredible anti-shock properties! Anyhow, it's carrying my laptop now. Looks like another thing NASA decided to fob off to the consumer masses. What would the world be without hyperbole?

Course ended today... I guess the last day is always the most fun. (no, not always). After that... have to return to office to clear the shit that has accumulated, which hopefully I will be able to dispose off efficiently and effectively. We had a lot of fun with the exercise, we thought that the comms and the voice procedure were retarded, and in our extreme boredom waiting for action to happen, we recorded our standard voice messages on our handphones so that we wouldn't actually have to speak back when we had to give stock replies. it didn't help that we were extremely irritated by the controller, lovable Mr Hans, who in the end I guess had irritated one person too many by his naggy ways. Yet he's one of those people you could have more of in this world, kind, benign, and just speaks a bit too much.

And come to think of it, we had encounters with some of the most eccentric people in the world as our instructors. heh. It also helped that I did pretty ok for the course, I even got a Borders voucher for my efforts. So primary school! Okay i think they gave gold star stickers then. But I remember in Sec 4 I received 400 dollars worth of Kino vouchers and a lot of Nat Geog stuff. Like omg omg omg I could eat vouchers for dinner everyday and digest magazines. Even after giving away half of it to teacher's, close friends and relatives, I was left with relatively much of vouchers. I was in book bliss. And althought it was just a token sum of 20 bucks, it did bring back memories. And also get my ass down to Borders (can't they give me a Kino voucher? beggars can't be choosers) and choose from their wonderful selection of books. Unlike Kino, however, their books rarely come in an immaculate condition, nor do they have an extensive selection of foreign language books or literature. And the lighting... oh well... but Borders came first and at that time, it was great. I took the opportunity to buy a book! Surprise! "The Pity of War", cause I decided to actually attempt WWI history given that I've already done a bit of WWII and to make up for my lack of historical education. Of course, that wasn't my first choice. I contemplated buying a guide to Vietnam, which they happened to lack, and I tried to pick from their choice of literature but nothing appealed to me. I even wanted to buy a CD. But in the end, what the hell, military money for a military book. It's a bit anti-war though. Thought you may like to know.

Went for jog in vest slackes to prep for Cobra Challenge too. It was a good run, one of those mind-numbing ones where you don't think about too much, unlikely some runs where you think about some impossible fantasies which make you very sad cause you're running and bored.

You see, describing my day. I can feel the certain joy in doing this, a certain exorcism of the day's spirits. I can see, also, how perhaps in some little way it is more meaningful than describing inner thoughts and feelings. What a turn! A few years back probably I wouldn't have envied writing about my day. That thoughts, feelings were what mattered. They still do, it's just that doing this is more a daily ablution. Or perhaps just a break, and lapse into something else again? It beats sitting around and thinking about shooting yourself with a gun out of boredom or sheer irritation at the world. (figuratively, I mean).

No comments: