2/12/2005

Friday Happy Pills and all that

Remember MUD? The days where logging on on your 28.8k modem to a cacophony of dialtones, "verifying user name and password", and log-in. Now you can tell your kids, I was part of history. I guess MUD, though being an obsessive sink of time, was an edifying experience of some sorts. It was our contact with the adult world as it was (so how's your kids?), people dying of cancer, tech nerds, of course our own S'porean friends, small close knit clan communities. It was fascinating to us, as 14 year olds, to talk to people who took weed before exams, and I think I learnt many figures of speech, americanisms, aussiesms, and a bit of the Europ�en way. National stereotypes came into play. The most ruthless leveller was a German, (efficiency). But those days were long gone, and being online has lost all its esoteric value, and thank god, we can all get on with life.

You see, I feel like I've swallowed a Friday Happy Pill. Like everything is absolutely drowning in a blue sea of positivity. (Electrons are red, protons are blue. Why it's like that, I have no bloody clue). There are times when I'm sick of gatherings and all. At those times, even pretty people make me unhappy, cause they remind me of all the beautiful people I'm never going to bite. And all you really wanted was a simple kind, a simple kind of life. But it wasn't like that yesterday.

I enjoyed the boisterous conversation and all. Put me up in a good mood for the weekend. I love my friends!

Also, plenty of Warholian moments. No, not Campbell soup cans. An example:

Advert on top of train: Smth about "windows of opportunities for ITE graduates"
On windows of train: painted steel bars depicting jail and the slogan "drugs make you more alone than ever"

It's not really Andy Warhol per se, but I invoked his name perhaps just to show that well damn I guess he was right. Art (& irony, incidental or otherwise) is so commonplace. Advertising is all around us! It fills the ceilings, the outsides of buses, the space above the urinal in the men's toilet! If you add all that up, that is a shitload of information! Imagine, previously, while you were peeing in the men's toilet, you would be staring at a wall. Now, you've just remembered the name of a new brand or some upcoming event on the XXth of Mar. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything, in fact, I'm stupefied and amazed at the extent that it gets into our brains. The person who invented vehicular advertising must have known how mind-numbing commutes can be and how much potential we have in those lost hours! And so many things, Apple iPods, PDAs, handphones, Nokia N-gages are created to fill the vacuum that is the commute. Because it's charming to look out the window of the bus, but you don't do it 365 days a year. Previously, we had to read books to read. Now, text & images are everywhere, and of rather high standard too. And it's a relatively recent thing, compare it to say 15 years ago(look at photos), nowhere is there such a high amount of exposure or creativity on display, for free (discounting the fact that you actually pay for it with your nike shoes). Art for the common man.

In the mood for love

No, apart from the fact that Maggie Cheung was so indubitably sexy in the film (fetish for fluttering eyelashes anyone), but argh I feel like writing erotica or something. Admittedly I hardly have enough experience, but I can start on the prologuey parts where they describe the women. It can turn our horribly embarassing though.

Mmm no, what I really mean, those were the sweetest eyes...

I like hair (the sort that grows on your head, thank you). It's one of those things which distinguishes you as a female. mmm. I need to bite someone.

how it races past your forehead and cascades behind your ear. I guess I would hate blondes, cause your hair wouldn't accentuate how beautiful and fair you were. No contrast. mm. But good for black and white photography, cause it catches the light. Unfortunately we see in colour. (that didn't come out right)

or maybe it's the way you walk, putting one foot in front of the other like your momma told you too.

fuck man. it's the little things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...i just love the way u described it.... :)
catch 22